Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Goodbyes are so hard [tear]

Good friend, Ben, spent his last night in Wisconsin on this visit with me -woo hoo - I rule! :-) We spent the evening chatting while listening to some incredible tunes since I had just finished my new speakers. As I eluded to yesterday, I've got a few pictures. They contain 5" Revelators and 9500's taking over the highs. Nice? Nope. Good? Nope. Incredible? YES. Word of warning to Tymphany (mothership corporate over Scan Speak) - If you do anything to decimate the beauty that is Scan Speak, I will end you. You've been warned! [Crazy Eyes]

Currently playing as I type: Alison Krauss, "Now That I've Found You: A Collection"

So, here's a shot of the boxes in their current, rough state. They're constructed of 3/4" MDF, using 3/4" marine grade plywood as inner dampening for the secondary baffle and rear diffusion panel. This one shows them just after getting the acoustic foam [cough, cough... mattress pad... cough, cough] lined on the walls (I'm resourceful, what can I say?).



And a top view that shows a bit more detail of the foam and the counter sunk lip for the drivers to they sit flush with the baffle after being mounted. [Yoda voice] Mad router skillz, I have.


Here's the masterpieces after having the drivers mounted. Yes, the 5" on the left is glossy finish and the right is matte finish. Deal with it. That's what happens when you find deals at the Madisound sale. Yes, they have slightly different timbre of sound. Yes, they have slightly different parameters. If you can point out to me the difference in a listening test, you win a prize. [Jeopardy theme begins...]


Ben knocked on the door as I was preparing to tie in my last bypass wire on the crossovers. The crossovers are something I "threw together" just to get them up and running. I must say, I'm good (head inflating). I'm sitting in bliss... Alison is in my living room... aaahhhhhhhhhhhhh. I can't wait to tweak these crossovers when I get my software key for back from Nate (hint, hint).


Here's a shot of Ben and I listening to Diana Krall on DVD-Audio. No, it's not the same as audio on DVD or a DVD concert - it's DVD-Audio. I'm too tired to expound, so go read about it here - though, I didn't read anything in the text, so I hold no responsibility for its accuracy.


Here's Ben giving Peanut some much needed attention. She just never gets any from me [roll eyes].


And this is Ben demonstrating playing fart sounds on his Blackjack phone through the leadpipe of my Bach Strad #37. A fart never sounded so projected. This is apparently what he and his orchestra buddies do when they're bored listening to retarded guest conductors...


Another one of Ben...

Well, good sir, I miss you already dearly! It was sooooo good to spend some time with you over the last few weeks! :-) I'm praying for safe travels in the snow tomorrow morning to the airport. Lord, please put Your hand of protection over Ben, Vir, Alex, and Victoria as they make their way home tomorrow. Thank You, Lord, for bringing such a wonderful friend into my life! I can't wait to see you again, buddy...

I bid you all a fine farewell this evening.
~S2H

3 comments:

AdamBam said...

Scott, what's up? We've never met (obviously) but this is Adam (Tara's husband) out in AZ. Just bounced onto your blog from Christina's, and I gotta say that those speakers look KILLER. (Well, they look like they SOUND KILLER... you know what I mean).

Looking forward to meeting you someday. And take care of Christina... or I'll break your legs! HA HA HA! ::blank stare::


[just playing... kinda:]

Rarus vir said...

Wow, a crazy horn player who likes building speakers. You might be my long lost cousin. I like those same things.

Rarus vir said...

That looks like a Bach Stadavairius ML bore?
I have one of those.