Monday, January 7, 2008

It's all in the name...

My series premier post yesterday was merely an attempt to "just get something posted." Today, I thought it appropriate to identify the etymology of my blog name and domain id.

Tieftoener. What is it? Who is it? Why? Oh, the frustration...! For the record, technically it's "tieftöner." When translating, the 0-umlaut (ö) becomes "oe" for the normal world and simplex text characters of ASCII relation. So, right... umlaut... must be German. Yup. "Tieftöner" means "subwoofer." I'm such a speaker nerd. Thanks be to Herr Schneider, my high school German teacher. As it turns out, he was also the first customer to ever buy speakers from me. I sincerely appreciate his enthusiastic support of my passions.

And as most college buddies can attest to, it quickly became my "gamer tag" (the name that you use for characters while playing video games). Yes, Tieftoener brings up many fond memories of friends cussing up and down the hallway of the "penthouse" of RWJ dorm... cussing at me for sleighing them with my superior intellect and mad keyboard skillz... then trying to pronounce "tieftoener" (come on, admit it - you can't pronounce it either) while already enraged from dying in the game... and becoming even more enraged by the frustration of having no idea how to say "tieftoener." Yes, it was awesome. I die a little inside with laughter, even now, thinking about it...

And those fellow gamers probably also remember a certain office desk tool that ravaged the depths of Hell in Diablo II, Expansion Pack. Yes, Swingline was the name of the greatest level 43 "assassin" character ever made. Good friends. Good times. Thank you all for the memories :-)

Seeing as I need to get packing up some stuff here at the office, last minute, I'm going to reserve the explanation of "S2H" for this evening. I'm heading off to Irvine, CA today again for another business trip. I'm going to be attending a Critical Design Review (CDR) with Air France airlines, Airbus, and Thales. It's regarding the new entertainment rack I'm designing for their new A380 jumbo-jets that are on order. I'll be returning to WI on Wednesday after our meeting tomorrow. I can't wait to take in the ocean view :-)

Back to work...

No comments: